City of Miami Beach
1700 Convention Center Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Miami Beach Economic Development Transition
In 2012, Kevin Crowder developed the BusinessFlare™ approach to economic development, which helps small communities maximize their economic development potential, by providing an affordable economic development outsourcing and technical assistance solution that respects a community’s limited resources. Following the development of BusinessFlare™, Mr. Crowder informed the city leadership of his intention to leave city employment and launch BusinessFlare™. Since this new model is based on the strategies and tools validated by his almost 20 years of experience in Miami Beach, in November 2012 the Miami Beach City Commission approved a Professional Services Agreement with Mr. Crowder to continue providing the City of Miami Beach with economic development services, through the BusinessFlare™ model, until the city completed the transition of economic development to new staff.
Since Mr. Crowder’s departure coincided with the departure of the City’s Redevelopment Coordinator, as well as the Special Projects Coordinator that was going to assume the economic development role, Mr. Crowder assisted in implementing the BusinessFlare™ approach in order to ensure a smooth transition. Mr. Crowder was contracted for the period of January through May 2013 so that the city would not have a gap in service, and continues to provide consultation on an as-needed basis.
The agreement approved by the City Commission validated the BusinessFlare™ concept, and provided assistance to the City Manager’s Office in the following areas for training/transitioning staff:
- Assistance in responding to inquiries from entrepreneurs, new businesses, investors, developers, and real estate brokers with information about doing business and investing in Miami Beach;
- Assistance updating the Economic Development Guide;
- Economic development consulting services and policy guidance as directed by the City;
- Assistance updating the Community and Demographic Profile;
- Assistance updating the Current Economic Conditions report;
- Assistance updating and providing information for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), Bond Rating Agency Presentations, the Environmental Scan (which guides the city’s strategic plan), and other research tasks;
- Coordination of intergovernmental issues, including assistance to the city administration with transition of intergovernmental coordination duties.